World Blood Donor Day

Safe blood saves lives

This year, World Blood Donor Day will once again be celebrated around the world on 14 June. The event serves to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood and also to raise awareness of the need for regular blood donations to ensure that all individuals and communities have access to affordable and timely supplies of safe and quality-assured blood and blood products, as an integral part of universal health coverage and a key component of effective health systems.

Impact of Covid-19 on Education

PROF. Stephen Kiama Gitahi, Vice Chancellor of the University of Nairobi while at #NMGLeadershipForum panel discussing the impact of #COVID19 on education in Kenya, said the "main source of revenue for the University of Nairobi is the fee-paying students. This accounts for about 75 per cent of our budget, the government provides the remaining 25 per cent. He also said he would not propose to have tertiary institutions open first. We would propose we begin with lower primary or secondary schools especially those doing day schooling. Tertiary institutions should be the last to re-open.